Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

Brighton Ridge Property Owners Association
  • chevron_rightAm I required to pay an assessment?
    Yes.  As a Brighton Ridge homeowner, you are required to pay your annual assessment.
  • chevron_rightDo I have to become a member of the Homeowners Association?
    Yes.  You can't live in a neighborhood with an HOA without belonging to the organization.  In Brighton Ridge, the name of our HOA is Brighton Ridge Property Owners Association. (BRPOA)
  • chevron_rightHow are the Board members selected?
    Board members are elected at the Annual Meeting of the membership.  Elections are held annually in February.  Each owner household receives one vote for each Director position up for election.
  • chevron_rightHow is the amount of the assessment determined?
    The Board of Directors puts together a budget, which includes the costs of such things as utilities, landscaping, administration, etc.  Reserve funds are monies also set aside for future expenses due to the life expectancy of certain items such as perimeter and decorative rail fences, sprinklers, lighting, amenity improvements or replacement, landscaping changes, etc. These amounts are then divided by the number of units built in the association. Subsequent budgets are adjusted periodically to meet unanticipated expenses.
  • chevron_rightHow is the BRPOA governed?
    The Brighton Ridge By-laws contain the Rules and Procedures governing the BRPOA. The Bylaws define the duties of the various offices of the Board of Directors, the terms of the Directors, the membership's voting rights, required meetings and notices of meetings, as well as many other items that are necessary to run the BRPOA.
    The Covenants contain the Powers, Duties, and Responsibilities of the Board of Directors, and also the responsibilities and restrictions of the Property Owners within Brighton Ridge.  The Covenants and Restrictions are the governing legal documents that establish the means and methods for the operation of our Association.  Violations of the C&Rs may result in fines being levied against a homeowner.
  • chevron_rightWhat does a Board President do?
    The president leads the Board which is responsible for handling BRPOA business as laid out in the By-laws and enforcing Covenants and Restrictions which govern the HOA.
    The president leads the Board and is responsible for overseeing and handling many of its procedural duties. In order to succeed in this role, the Board president must be knowledgeable about the community’s CC&Rs and governing documents and understand how to run an effective meeting.  S/he serves as the authority on all association rules and governing documents, and appoints committees if dictated by the bylaws.  The president also leads board and  association meetings, handling such responsibilities as calling the meeting to order, announcing the agenda and ensuring adherence, maintaining attendee order and decorum,  proposing questions, calling for votes and announcing the results, and recognizing others to speak.
  • chevron_rightWhat expenses are covered by the Annual Assessments?
    Typical expense items in the BRPOA budget include insurance of common property, landscaping and garden maintenance costs, sprinkler system repairs, monument lighting, utilities (electric and water), social events, administration and postage, website development and maintenance, attorney fees, capital improvements and upkeep of common areas.
  • chevron_rightWhat happens if I don't pay my assessment?
    The Brighton Ridge Annual Assessments are invoiced in February and are due in full on or before April 1 each year.  Late payments will result in late fees and interest at 18%.  In addition, the Association has the right to turn over delinquent accounts to the attorney for collection of assessments and/or filing a lien on the property. In addition, you will be required to pay all the costs of pursuing these recourses.
  • chevron_rightWhat is a Homeowners Association?
    The Association is a legal corporation organized and incorporated under the laws of Illinois. The Association has Articles of Incorporation that entitle the association to exercise powers of a corporation.  By purchasing a home within your community association, you automatically become a member of the association and will remain so for as long as you own your home.
    Membership in the association is mandatory and automatic for all owners. The deed to each lot and/or parcel specifically designates that the property owner will comply with the Covenants and Restrictions (C&R's) of the association. You normally should have received a copy of these documents prior to closing on your home.  As a property owner in a community association, you will be required to pay assessments, abide by the community's rules and restrictions and maintain those areas of your home for which you are responsible.
  • chevron_rightWhen do I need a building permit from the city of Naperville?
    Here are the links to the city of Naperville regarding building permits.     guide.pdf
    Permits are usually required for additions, fences, decks, hot tubs, swimming pools, kitchen remodeling, finished basements, electrical upgrades etc.
  • chevron_rightWhere can I get a copy of the Bylaws and the Covenants and Restrictions?
    Selling property owners and/or realtors usually provide these documents to potential buyers.  Copies can be found on this website, can be sent as a PDF to interested parties, and are available in hard copy from the Board of Directors of the BRPOA.
  • chevron_rightWhich Brighton Ridge covenants may be important for me know about?
    All the Covenants and Restrictions are important, but here are some of the ones that are most asked about.
    • Architectural Standards for homes:  Construction must be of brick, cedar or dryvit as the exterior wall material.  Aluminum and vinyl sidings are not permitted.
    • Accessory Buildings:  No one can build an accessory building (shed) in BR with the exception of gazebos.
    • Swimming Pool:  All swimming pools must be in-ground pools.  Above ground pools are not permitted.
    • Fences:  All new or replacement fences must have 2 fence permits, one from the city of Naperville and one from BRPOA.  In Brighton Ridge, fence height is restricted to 4 feet unless a pool exists, then it may be 5 feet.   In addition, some materials and construction are not allowed for fences in BR, such as, cyclone, mesh and stockade.  BR permits are generally issued within hours of receiving the completed application.
    • Vehicles: Camping trailers, boats, tractors, trucks, motorcycles, mobile homes, limousines and other such vehicles may not be stored permanently or temporarily on any residential lot.  Operable autos being used by the owners, occupants or guests may be parked on the driveway, but non-operable vehicles cannot be stored on any lot or driveway.
    • Signs:  All signs must conform to the City of Naperville ordinances.
    • Animals: No livestock or Poultry shall be raised, bred or kept.  Dogs, Cats and birds are allowed except if they are associated with a commercial purpose.  No dog Kennels, Houses or Runs are allowed.  All pets must reside in the home.
    • Property Condition: No unsightly underbrush or weeds are allowed.  No trash piles or unsightly objects shall be maintained on the lot.
    Garbage and recycling containers:  All containers for garbage, waste and recycling must be stored within the dwelling or garage, except on such days as it is picked up and collected by the city.
  • chevron_rightWho are the board members?
    Our Board members are property owners living in the community.  They are listed on the BRPOA page of our website. You can contact them through the Contact Us page.
  • chevron_rightWill my assessment go up?
    There is no concrete answer to whether your assessment will go up. The By-Laws authorize the Board of Directors to prepare a budget that adequately funds the operating requirements of the community.   The Board of Directors may approve a budget increase in order to cover those higher costs and to provide sufficient reserve funds.  However, historically in Brighton Ridge, large increases are rare and special assessments have never been levied.
Life in Brighton Ridge
  • chevron_rightWhere is our polling place?
    Brighton Ridge is the 9th Precinct of Naperville Township, DuPage County.
    The current polling place for all Brighton Ridge residents has been Good Shepherd Lutheran Church at 75th Street and Shepherd Drive.  Currently, voting takes place in the gym on the lower level.
Naperville Municipal Code
  • chevron_rightWhat is the height restriction for grass / weeds?
    Section 4-3-2.1 of the municipal code states that grass / weeds may not exceed eight (8) inches in height in the right-of-way and eight (8) inches in height on private property.
    This section also states that any weeds such as jimson, burdock, ragweed, thistle, cocklebur or other weeds of a like kind are not permitted to grow or remain anywhere in the city except in designated natural landscape areas. To report a grass and/or weed violation, please call (630) 420-6693.
  • chevron_rightDo I need a permit for the work I am doing at my house?
    Decks, driveways, fences and swimming pools all require permits.  Most remodeling projects (e.g. basements or kitchen upgrades) will also require a permit, particularly if you are removing or adding walls, modifying electric or plumbing, or enlarging windows or doors. 
    Before beginning your project, please call Development Services at (630) 420-6100, option 2, to determine whether or not a permit is needed.  Even though a permit is an additional cost, the inspections that are included as a part of the cost of the permit both ensure that the job is done in conformance with all applicable codes and that the end product is safe for you and your family.
  • chevron_rightCan I direct my sump-pump discharge to the sidewalk or street?
    No.  Section 9-1A-16.1.1 of the municipal code states that it shall be unlawful to deposit on any street any material which make said street slippery or which may be harmful to the pavement or storm drain thereof, or any waste material, or other articles which may do injury to any person, animal or property.
    In addition, section 9-1H-2 of the municipal code states that any person owning any lot or parcel of land must keep clean and open for public passage any sidewalk or sidewalks abutting on or adjacent to such lot or parcel of land.
  • chevron_rightWho is responsible for keeping the sidewalk clear of overgrown bushes and trees?
    Section 9-1H-2.2 of the municipal code states that the property owner must maintain the public way in a safe condition for pedestrians, free of all obstructions, excavations, tall grass, weeds, trash, debris or other substances or materials which may interfere with the free use of such passageways by the public; and from all trees and bushes interfering with the free use of sidewalks.
  • chevron_rightWhen can garbage containers be placed at the curb and when do containers need to be removed from the curb?
    Section 4-2-3.1 of the municipal code states that garbage containers may be placed at the curb the evening before the day of collection and must be removed from the curb by 7 p.m. the day of collection.
  • chevron_rightWhat can I do about my neighbor’s tree that overhangs my property?
    In most cases this will be a civil issue.  If you believe a code violation may be involved, please call the main code enforcement line at (630) 420-6100, option 3, and an inspection can be scheduled to determine if there is a violation that can be addressed.
  • chevron_rightCan I have a basketball hoop in the street or on the sidewalk?
    No.  Section 9-1A-11.2 of the municipal code states that it shall be unlawful for any person to cause, create or maintain any obstruction on any street, alley, sidewalk, parkway or other public way.  This includes basketball-hoops, whether they are permanent or movable.
  • chevron_rightDo I have to shovel my sidewalk?
    Yes.  Section 9-1H-2 of the municipal code states that any person owning any lot or parcel of land must keep clean and open for public passage any sidewalk or sidewalks abutting on or adjacent to such lot or parcel of land.  The sidewalks should be cleared of snow and ice within 48 hours following the weather event.
  • chevron_rightCan I take snow from my driveway and /or sidewalk and place it in the street?
    No.  Section 9-1A-16.1 of the municipal code states that it shall be unlawful to deposit on any street any material which make said street slippery and also states it shall be unlawful to remove any snow or ice from any private property and deposit the same upon any public street or alley or any part thereof